Pages

Wednesday 6 March 2013

No Cold Turkey For Me!

 
I am becoming positively obsessed with craft challenges, it seems to me that once you start it is VERY hard to stop!  Why would you wish to stop? Because they start to take over your life!  Its not that I'm dreaming of them or anything (although I might be about to), or that I haven't showered in a fortnight with my obsession taking over ALL aspects of my life (now that I think about it, as soon as I've posted this, I'm going for a long soak in the tub!). 
 
But you know its beginning to get out of hand, when you are putting post-it notes (virtual ones) on your desktop to remind you when a challenge starts, when it finishes, what the requirements are and/or what 'linky' number you are.  AND your desktop now looks like its been wallpapered with lots of little square, you know its time to give it up!  Do I sound obsessed... yes I think I do.
 
But worse... it has now got to the point where, not only am I 'piling it on' (that's more than one challenge for only one card/project) but I am tailoring my cards to fit half a dozen challenges!  The other day I made a card that a.) followed a sketch; b.) followed a colour combo; c.) Incorporated a digi stamp; d.) incorporated punches x 2; e.) matched a 'bingo' or 'tic tac toe' and f.) was masculine! What is going on... obsessed much? 
 
I think the challenges are beginning to 'suck' the joy out of crafting.  Although it is nice to follow, say? A sketch or a colour combo, (the operative word here is OR), I'm beginning to confuse myself (what goes with what, when, how, why, why, why!).  So this self-confessed challenge-aholic is going to cut-back on the challenges (or at least the combining of said same), and concentrate on simply 'making', for making's sake...
 
MY NAME IS KAREN... AND I AM A CHALLENGE -AHOLIC
 
I draw the line at 'cold turkey', I'm not that good!  And I DO so like to hear comments from other experts and crafters, and let's be honest here... you (or is it only me?) get 'loads' of comments when you've entered a challenge.  That, in itself, has reduced me to a challenge freak of epic proportions!  And if you should win? WOW don't get me started on that one... Oh, the joy of having your name randomly picked as the best (huh?, how can it be the best if its random? It doesn't matter does it, oh no, 'cause you're the best!).  Or being chosen as a 'top pick' and getting a blinky... is it any wonder that I'm becoming obsessed, when they (the challenge sites) prey so disgracefully upon my poor weak soul! 
 
"If Music Be the Food of Love, Play On"
From Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, 1602
 
My current list of challenges (remember all those post-it notes), requires... a 'manly' card; which follows a sketch; that has a tag and features a cut from my 'CRICUT', so...

(great sketch)
 
 
 
(... those are not little aliens you can see, but headphones! You most certainly could be forgiven for thinking otherwise!)
 
 
The card base is a piece of dk. brown cardstock, scored and folded in half.  To this I have added a patterned paper mat,  where the paper came from, is anybody's guess!  I followed a sketch and cut pieces of 'KANBAN' cardstock ('Retro Sounds' and 'Retro Music' from the 'So Feminine/So Macho kit) and mounted these onto more dk. brown cardstock.  Everything has had its edges inked with 'TIM HOTZ' distressed ink ('Tea Dye') and layered with foam pads. 

 
The tag was very simply cut 'free-hand' and been layered with both the patterned paper and more 'Retro Sounds' cardstock.  With a piece of ribbon and a 'Dad' peel-off for added effect. Oh and some faux stitching around the sentiment (just so you know its there!).

 
The 'CRICUT' cut was achieved with the 'CRICUT AMERICAN ALPHABET' cartridge.  All four cuts were used - 'shadow', 'shadow+shift', '<radio>' (p.45) and '<radio-s>' all cut at 2 1/4".  I love the simplicity of the cuts on this cartridge.

 
Its a shame my camera (or rather my phone) cannot pick up the beauty of this 'KANBAN' cardstock, it is foiled, and really is quite lovely.
 
No Cold Turkey For Me, challenges...
 
DIE CUTTIN DIVA - Ch. #105 - 'Try A Sketch'
 
CRAFTS AND ME CHALLENGES - Ch. #123 - 'Tag It'
 
CARDS GALORE CHALLENGE BLOG - March Ch. - 'Music'
 
CRAFTY CARDMAKERS - Ch. #86 - 'Masculine Birthday featuring Technology or a gadget'
 
A CARD A DAY Blogging - 'Wednesday'
 
... and repeat -   MY NAME IS KAREN
... AND I'M A CHALLENGE-AHOLIC
 

Blah... blah... blah...
 
 
 
 


10 comments:

  1. Very nice card, I can see the foil paper too. Good job on putting all those challenges together and for your take on the DCD sketch. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! Lol your post has made me laugh out loud! Only because I'm recognising some of those traits lol! I used to be quite obsessed with challenges myself, but I don't enter so many now! Thank you for joining the Cards Galore challenge this month, your card is fab, great layout and colours, good luck Hun, Zoe DT xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card. Your post is so funny, and I agree, they are addicting. Thanks for joining us for our Sketch challenge this week at Die Cuttin' Divas.

    Anita
    DT DCD
    http://scrappyhappymommy.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, great guy card...Thanks for playing along with us at DCD!! Lee-Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card and I loved your story about your addiction...lol. Thanks for joining us at crafty cardmakers

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a wonderful take on the sketch.

    ~Shawnie B.
    www.CardsByShawnie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, this crafting/blogging business certainly is addictive but I notice that you don't have a followers button - it really is a boost to the ego when you see your follower numbers creeping up. A great masculine card, that DP is fab. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great card! Thanks for joining us at DCD this week!
    Gerda
    http://cardscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. LoL! Such a fun read. Been there, done that. What can I say? It gets better with time. LoL It's a lovely card you have made. Thanks for playing with us over at CCM this week.
    Love n hugs
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha- I think we've all been there trying to trawl through as many challenge as possible but afterwards the liberation of "just" crafting for the fun of your favorite single challenge (or too)is fabby- see you on the otherside, lol! x

    Thanks for playing along with my masculine theme at craft cardmakers challenge this week.

    Rebecca x

    http://mellymoopapercrafting.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you see...
Don't Forget to Follow Me!